Health and safety risk assessment
Risk assessment or risk inventory & evaluation (RI&E) is the basis for occupational health and safety management and is essential in the establishment of a healthy workplace. A well-executed risk assessment will guide your company in the challenges you are facing in the field of occupational health and safety.
What are you looking for in a health and safety risk assessment? Is it:
- Legal compliance with EU Framework Directive 89/391
- Your ambition to become a leader in the field of Occupational Health and safety
- An understanding of state of the art solutions for workplace risks
- A full and comprehensive summary of all hazards of the workplace
- Control and business continuity
- Incentive to develop a mature safety culture, or
- Safety as a state of mind while working?
Why don’t you get it all and increase the value of your risk inventory? We offer worldwide risk assessment services. Our approach specializes on the (high) tech industry. Continue reading to find out what methodology we have developed and how your company can benefit from this.
Risk assessment legislation
The most important piece of European legislation relevant to risk assessment is the Framework Directive 89/391. It makes employers responsible for ensuring the safety and health of workers. Risk assessment is an integral aspect of the mandatory occupational safety and health management. The Framework Directive has been transposed into national legislation.
Health and safety consultants
Philips Innovation Services is your safety partner. We get you in control and help you to manage occupational health and safety. Based on the finding of the risk assessment you will be able to make your own choices based on a clear justification.
The qualified health and safety consultants in the Environment Safety and Health (ESH) team support many customers and are also keen to support you. If you have questions about environmental permits, equipment safety, explosion safety, legionella, chemicals and so on, we can help you with troubleshooting and long-term issues. Don’t hesitate to contact the ESH team!
Your benefit from a risk assessment
A well-conducted risk assessment is a solid basis for occupational safety management and also results in satisfied employees, enhanced productivity and substantial savings. Your benefits are:
- Legal compliance
- Be in control
- Constantly going through improvement cycles
- Less incidents, less illness
- Resources efficiently allocated
- Your organization provides the safest and best place to work
- Results secured by audits, KPIs
- Increased employee engagement
- Stay or become the company people like to work for
We deliver health and safety risk assessment
Because of the team of experienced consultants and the fact that all innovation safety consultants are certified we deliver complete state of the art safety solutions.
- Our experienced certified safety consultants have more than 100 years’ experience in the field. They understand the work your professionals do, the machinery they use, and cost-effective control measures for dominant risks.
- We create a clear overview of your risks and the measures to fit for purpose. It covers technical, organizational as well as psycho-social risks.
- We rank each health and safety item on a scale of 1 to 5, where 3 is compliant and 5 is state of the art. You decide which level you and your organization want to achieve.
- The results of the Risk Assessment are put on a heat map that supports your company to make the most cost-effective for investments to further reduce health and safety risks. As part of an innovative company there is a continuous drive to find innovative solutions.
Meet the health and safety consultants
Our approach health and safety risk assessment
Our health and safety consultants’ approach is tailor-made for you and normally follows these steps:
- Assess management’s safety ambition
- Define legal and company requirements
- Conduct risk assessment:
• Identify all hazards
• Evaluate risk
• Assessment of suitable control measures and (residual) risk
• Propose best control measures to reduce risk
• Write action plan
- Follow business dynamics:
• Management of change
• Identify new risks due to e.g. new activities, machinery
- Continuous improvement
We highly recommend our Behavior Based Safety Program if you want to boost the safety culture and operational excellence of your company.
Risk assessment methodology and tools
Your occupational risks are ranked on the five-point scale based on the results of interviews with key stakeholders, workplace inspections and/or employee questionnaires. The results are visualized in a spider chart. An example is given below in figure 1.
Over the years our health and safety consultants have created a unique and highly effective risk assessment methodology that works on a five-point scale using the national legislation as a basis:
Health and Safety Management maturity chart
Figure 1. Risk assessment spider chart indicating the Health and Safety Management maturity of a company
- Nothing in place
The organization has not got any program in place to cover the risks related to the specific topic.
- Not compliant
The organization has a program in place, but does not meet the applicable legislation or norms.
The organization has a program in place that meets the local legislation and norms.
The organization meets the local legislation and some parts of the program are best in class.
- State of the art
The organization has the latest and most sophisticated program in place.
Our health and safety risk assessment methodology makes a distinction between three categories of risks:
- Compliance Risk
The risk is unacceptably high because legally obliged control measures (according to the Working Conditions Act and its Decrees and Regulations) haven’t been taken.
- Working Conditions Policy Risk
Risk ensuing from inadequacy in policy making but not leading to non-compliance.
- Operational Risk
Risks related to one or more accident scenarios that are too high according to the expert’s opinion.
In cooperation with the departments an action plan is created. The signature of the accountable manager and the certified safety senior consultant makes it a legal document (under the Dutch law).
The action plan defines control measures and indicates the related priority in the following way:
- High priority – immediate action required.
- Medium priority – action within six months.
- Low priority – action within one year.
Health and safety risk assessment in the spotlight
Endologix selected us for their Health and Safety support. Our consultants team-up to offer radiation protection consultancy combined with occupational health and safety expertise.
“I want to help organizations protect their most valuable assets: their people. Having witnessed heavy machinery accidents motivated me to professionalize in this field…”
Check out our related services
Check out related services and the key area of expertise in environment, health & safety ›